So I must confess. I don’t follow a paleo diet 100% of the time. There. I said it. Please don’t leave me mean comments, or worse: stop reading my posts!
Today there were these cupcakes…ice cream cupcakes to be exact. And 2 lovely ladies I have the pleasure of working with convinced me to split one with them 3 ways…and then of course there was a different kind to try so I split another one. Overall I didn’t quite eat an entire ice cream cupcake :). Please forgive me for my honesty. I. AM. NOT. PERFECT. Nor will I ever be. And the cupcake was really good.
Moving on. To a recipe that allows you (and me) to enjoy an ice cream treat without large amounts of sugar and it involves absolutely no dairy! I have some terrible seasonal allergies, and although I can’t say they have gone away completely, the amount of congestion I endure is much less since I have stopped eating dairy regularly. However, when I do eat it (like today) I can definitely tell.
So this weekend after you’ve finished off your ribs/burgers/brats/etc. Whip up some of this yummy ice cream with REAL mint.
Because what’s a BBQ dinner without a treat to cool you off after a hot day in the sun? Exactly. No good. So that’s where this ice cream recipe comes in. A simple and HEALTHY ice cream treat even non-paleo folks will enjoy.
And unlike many ice cream recipes that you have to cook in the eggs, this one has no eggs and therefore it can be made in almost no time at all. I use the ice cream attachment for my Kitchen Aid Mixer. If you have a Kitchen Aid mixer I would highly recommend this attachment. One less appliance (just the bowl) and it is reasonably priced. Especially if you are interested in making your own dairy free ice cream on a regular basis. A pint of coconut milk ice cream costs around $6. Whoa! This coconut milk ice cream costs me about half of that price. Much more reasonable.
The original recipe is from a blog that I very much enjoy, The Nourishing Gourmet. She has lots of other ice cream ideas to try, so be sure to check it out.
Mint Chip Coconut Milk Ice Cream
- 1 can full fat coconut milk (recommend this kind)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- handful of mint leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Pulse the chocolate chips in food processor until they are to a consistency you like
- Whisk together coconut milk, maple syrup and vanilla
- Pour into ice cream maker according to directions
- Once the ice cream is almost done add in the chopped mint leaves and chocolate chips
- Eat right away or put in container covered with plastic wrap in the freezer for a few hours. Get the ice cream out of the freezer 15 minutes before you want to enjoy it.