So Memorial Day weekend is almost here which means it’s officially BBQ season. And that means excellent side dishes to go with all of that barbecue goodness. One of those SUPER simple side dishes I like to serve with grilled food is sweet potatoes. Of course my husband will tell you that we eat sweet potatoes for just about every meal year round at our house… They’re just so easy!
Plus sweet potatoes are on the clean 15, and they’re one of the few veggies my son will eat that are not hidden in a smoothie :).
My hubby does get a little tired of plain old sweet potatoes though… And admittedly, so do I. So these mashed ones are still pretty easy and entirely addictive. Plus they only have one [optional] teaspoon of maple syrup! They taste so sweet though!
So here’s recipe number one in a little series as you prep for the upcoming weekend. Are you spending it with just the immediate fam, or are you having guests? Either way these sweet potatoes are sure to please anyone who has the pleasure of devouring them!
Effortless Mashed Sweet Potatoes
(adapted from America’s Test Kitchen)
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled, quartered and sliced into 1/4-1/2 inch pieces
- 6 tablespoons grass-fed butter
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- Put sweet potatoes in a large pot
- Add in all ingredients on top of sweet potatoes
- Cover and place on low heat for 1 hour, or until sweet potatoes fall apart when pierced with a fork
- Mash sweet potatoes and be sure all ingredients are incorporated thoroughly
- Try not to eat all of them straight out of the pot