It’s Sunday night and I have gone the whole weekend without baking something chocolate!!!
It’s killing me. And as I write this, I am eating celery with peanut butter and coconut. It’s good, but it’s not a brownie :(.
Earlier this week I made these muffins, and although healthy, they were enough to squelch my desire for something sweeter. They have white whole wheat flour, carrots, and organic applesauce. They were so healthy, I let Owen eat some :).
I was able to make them on a weeknight because they didn’t really take that long to make. These applesauce muffins are great for breakfast or a snack!
- 2/3 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup organic unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup carrots, pulsed several times in food processor
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- MAKE STREUSEL Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray 12-cup muffin tin or line with baking cups. Melt butter and mix topping ingredients together.
- MAKE BATTER Combine flour oats, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon in a ziploc. Mix together applesauce, milk, carrots, sugar, melted butter, and egg. Stir in flour mixture just until combined. Batter will be lumpy
- DIVIDE AND BAKE Divide batter among muffin cups and sprinkle with topping. Bake until toothpick comes out clean, about 18-20 minutes. Cool on wire racks.